We are all concerned about travel with respect to the events of September 11, 2001. Although some security measures may seem like an inconvenience, we encourage you to be understanding of increased travel security as well as heightened security at the Natcher Center. Following are a few travel tips we would like to share with you:
- Call your travel agent and/or the airports you are flying into (even airports you only have connections to) to confirm your travel plans and request any security updates that you need to be aware of.
- Have picture identification on your person at all times. (If you are an international traveler, be sure to have your passport and several forms of picture and written identification and travel authorization). Be sure to call the airports you will be traveling through to ensure you have everything you need to get through security checkpoints.
- Be sure to allow enough travel time to and from the airports. Most airports are now requesting that passengers arrive 2-3 hours ahead of time due to heightened security.
- Once at the meeting, be sure to have your picture identification. Your badge will be given to you upon registration. Please keep your badge and picture ID with you at all times. (Please do not wear your ID or badge in public, but have it with you at all times). You may face several security checkpoints during your travels and on the NIH campus. Please arrive early and be prepared and ready to cooperate with heightened security.
- Parking at the NIH is normally difficult, but due to the recent tragic events and heightened security, parking may be even more challenging. We encourage delegates to utilize our shuttle system or the Metro System rather than driving to the NIH campus. Parking is available at the Hyatt Regency Bethesda through Monument Parking ($10/day), you may then take our free shuttle service to and from the NIH/Natcher Center and the Hyatt Regency Bethesda. (If you are staying at the Sheraton, they have a separate shuttle service to and from the NIH/Natcher Center).
- Please share your travel itinerary with family, friends and colleagues.
Should you have any questions, feel free to contact the SBT Office at 414/271-2456. Thank you in advance for your cooperation. We look forward to a great meeting!